The committee will represent a cross-section of the community, including community members, parents, students, teachers, support staff, administrators and four BOE representatives. The committee is expected to focus on protecting the community’s long-term investment in our school facilities by considering the advancement of instructional programs, building renovation and maintenance needs, safety and security, district-wide technology and the use of alternative energy. The district is seeking 30 individuals to be on the committee. All meetings will be open to the public, however.
“We are seeking community members who can help us with the planning process for addressing the district’s 21st century classroom learning needs, as well as energy efficiencies, safety and infrastructure needs,” said Superintendent of Schools Michael Patton. “The committee’s input will provide valuable insight and help finalize the scope of a potential capital project.”
Committee members will use last year’s district enrollment and district building study outcomes, a recent building condition study by district architects, and work done over the course of the past year by a group of district stakeholders, as guides for the planning process.
The Community Capital Project Advisory Committee is scheduled to meet on seven Monday evenings beginning on April 20 and ending on June 22. The committee will meet on the following Monday evenings from 6-8 p.m. in the High School LGI. The meeting dates and topics are as follows:
- Monday, April 20 – Introductions, committee structure, purpose, project status, reports, analysis
- Monday, April 27 – Review of building conditions survey, identifying needs and deficiencies
- Monday, May 11 – Tours of buildings and facilities (This meeting will be held from 5:30-8:30 p.m.)
- Monday, May 18 – Analyze and prioritize district needs
- Monday, June 1 – Analyze and prioritize district needs
- Monday, June 8 – Finalize all district priorities, draft committee recommendations to the BOE
- Monday, June 22 – Finalize committee recommendations to the BOE (Last official committee meeting)
- Monday, July 13 – Committee reps. will report recommendations to the BOE at July 13 meeting
The board of education is expected to adopt the recommendations of the Advisory Committee in August and schedule a public referendum vote for the first week of December 2015.
Individuals with experience in the construction industry are encouraged to apply. If you are interested in serving on the committee, please call the superintendent’s office at (518) 793-9617, ext. 1, or by emailing email@example.com, by Thursday, April 16.